Advertisement

CoVid-19 breakthrough cases, what are they and why do they happen?

Published: Aug. 13, 2021 at 6:45 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (Wyoming News Now) - When Gov. Mark Gordon’s staff member, who was fully vaccinated, tested positive for COVID, many asked what breakthrough cases are and what can be done?

Breakthrough cases are when someone is vaccinated, tests positive, or still gets sick with CoVid. Breakthrough cases typically have co-morbidity factors.

Breakthroughs happen when patients have other health issues that hamper their immunity or are on immunosuppressant medications.

According to the CDC, these co-factors include:

Cancer, kidney disease, COPD, dementia, diabetes, heart conditions, HIV, downs syndrome, liver disease, obesity, smoking, pregnancy, sickle cell, organ or stem cell transplant, stroke, or substance abuse. All of these factors lower immunity and people over the age of 65.

The Pfizer vaccine is 95 percent effective in preventing the COVID-19 virus, leaving a 5% chance you could still get sick.

Yet getting the vaccine still means recipients are less likely to need hospitalization or experience fatal symptoms or outcomes, even when the virus mutates.

To lessen your chances of getting the eight times more contagious CoVid Delta variant, get vaccinated.

“The more people we have taking it, that are covered by vaccinations, the less likely we are to see these breakthrough cases. Most of these breakthrough cases are probably obtained from people who have chosen not to be vaccinated,” said Dr. Stan Hartman, Health Officer for Laramie County and Licensed Physician.

Let’s compare the efficacy of the CoVid-19 vaccine with other vaccines.

According to the CDC, yearly Flu vaccines are 40 to 60 percent effective.

The 2 dose Polio vaccine is 90 percent effective.

The MMR measle vaccine is 97% effective after two doses and 93% effective after 1 dose.

“You’re a greater risk from the disease itself than the vaccine,” said Hartman.

Although the World Health Organization has asked for a temporary moratorium on booster shots until the end of Sept. until low-income countries can have access to at least their first dose, the FDA has authorized a booster for only the most vulnerable.

You should talk to your doctor about booster shots if co-morbidity is a factor and when it’s best to get them.

“It’s safe and effective and it will help keep the community healthy and get us past all of this quicker,” said Hartman.

For more information on the below topics, click the blue links.

Co-Morbidity factors.

The Pfizer Vaccine.

Articles on Lambda- Article 1, Article 2.

CoVid Variants

How CoVid Vaccines compare.

FDA approves booster.

W.H.O. moratorium.

How did they develop the vaccine so fast?

Copyright 2021 Wyoming News Now. All rights reserved.