Fire occurs in vacant apartment complex
CHEYENNE, Wyo. (RELEASE) - At approximately 5:15 p.m., Casper Fire-EMS units were dispatched to a reported structure fire on the 600 block of Walsh Drive in Casper. Initial reports stated that welding during renovation operations had started a small fire. First arriving units found smoke coming from the rear 2 nd story of the structure.
Damage was limited to the area of origin. The apartment complex was under renovation and unoccupied. As a result, there were no injuries associated with the fire. Investigators from the Natrona County Interagency Investigation Taskforce were able to confirm initial reports that the fire was accidental and caused by welding.
Four Engines, one Truck, and the on-duty Battalion Chief responded initially, and were joined by one Chief Officer and Fire Investigators. Casper Fire-EMS also received assistance from Evansville Fire-EMS, telecommunicators at the Public Safety Communication Center, officers from the Casper Police Department, an ambulance from Wyoming Medical Center, and technicians from the utility companies.
Casper Fire-EMS reminds everyone that working smoke alarms save lives. Smoke alarms should be located on every floor of your residence, in common living areas and in sleeping areas. Test your smoke alarms monthly to ensure they are in good working order. If you have older smoke detectors, change the batteries twice yearly. Newer smoke detectors come equipped with batteries that may last up to 10 years without replacement.
Copyright 2022 KGWN. All rights reserved.