AARP’s Tax Aide Program is back for 2023

Published: Feb. 3, 2023 at 4:59 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (RELEASE) - The AARP Foundation’s Tax Aide program is back in 2023 and will have a number of locations around the State of Wyoming. To find a specific location, please click here.

AARP Foundation Tax-Aide provides in-person and virtual tax assistance to anyone, free of charge, with a focus on taxpayers who are over 50 and have low to moderate income. Tax-Aide volunteers are located nationwide, and are trained and IRS-certified every year to make sure they know about and understand the latest changes and additions to the tax code. Tax-Aide sites will open early in February. Locations in Wyoming include:

Platte County Public Library in Wheatland

Call 307-322-4700 for appt on Tues or Thurs from 10 to 4 pm

Riverton Senior Citizen Center in Riverton

Call 307-856-6332 for appt on Mon or Wed 9 to 2 pm

The Hub on Smith in Sheridan

Call 307-672-2240 for appt on Tues or Thurs 10-4 pm

Buffalo Senior Citizens in Buffalo

Call 307-684-9551 for appt on Fri from 9:30-4 pm

Lander Senior Citizens Center in Lander

Call 307-332-2746 for appt on appt on Mon or Wed at 9 to 12

Worland Senior Citizens Center

Call 307-347-3208 for appt on Mon or Fri at 9-2pm

There are few slots available, so make sure to call ahead to ask for an appointment.

What to Bring To An Appointment

This is a general list; there may be additional materials you’ll need based on the type of service needed.

  • Previous year’s tax return.
  • All correspondence received from the IRS and your state/local taxing authority.
  • Social Security cards and/or ITIN notices/cards or other official documentation that show the taxpayer identification numbers for every individual on your return.
  • Government-issued photo ID for each taxpayer.
  • Checking or savings account information if you want to direct deposit any refund(s) or direct debit any amounts due.
  • Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) (for each individual if applicable).


  • W-2 for each employer.
  • 1099-G form for unemployment compensation or state/local income tax refunds.
  • SSA-1099 form showing the total Social
  • Security benefits paid to you for the year, or RRB-1099, Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits form.
  • 1099 forms (or other statements) reporting interest (1099-INT), dividends (1099-DIV) and/or proceeds from sales (1099-B), plus documentation showing the original purchase prices if you sold stocks or other assets.
  • 1099-R form if you received a pension, annuity, or IRA distribution.
  • 1099-MISC, 1099-K, or other 1099 forms. If you have a business, bring a summary list of all your income (cash and non-cash) and all business-related expenses.
  • Information about any other income of any form including cash.
  • IRS letter 6475 detailing the Economic Impact Payment (stimulus) amounts received.
  • IRS letter 6419 detailing any Advance Child Tax Credit received.


Records of any federal and/or state and/or local income tax paid (including quarterly estimated tax payments) if not shown on income documents.


Most taxpayers have a choice of taking either a standard deduction or itemizing their deductions.

If you have a substantial amount of deductions, you may want to itemize. If so, bring the following information:

  • 1098 form showing home mortgage interest.
  • A summary list of medical/dental/vision expenses including doctor and hospital bills and medical insurance premiums, prescription medicines, assisted living services, long-term insurance and bills for medical related home improvements such as ramps and railings for people with disabilities.
  • Summary of cash and noncash contributions to charity.
  • Property tax bills paid during the year (frequently shown on mortgage statements).Health Insurance
  • 1095-A forms if you purchased insurance through the Marketplace (Exchange).


  • Dependent care provider information – name, address, telephone number and employer ID or Social Security number and amount paid to provider.
  • 1098-T form for education expenses plus statement of account from the educational institution showing tuition and fees actually paid and scholarships, grants, etc. received. Also bring a summary of any other education expenses.
  • 1098-E form for student loan interest.

For more information, contact Terry Livingston at 307-529-0869 or